1999: Welcome, Arto Saari

Posted September 13, 2005 by éS

Arto Saari joins the éS team. At this point, Arto has made a great impact in his native Finland and is only beginning to gain notoriety in the U.S. He will go on to amaze everyone who sees his video parts, and become an integral part of the éS family.

Tony Evjenth becomes the first éS Team Manager. Tony’s ever-evolving comedy antics and casual management style bring a new influence to the éS team and add a structure it had been lacking.

Eric Koston, Rick McCrank, Bob Burnquist and Kerry Getz embark on the éS Brazil Tour.

Bob Burnquist is named one of Rolling Stone's Athletes of the Year.

(Photo enlarges.)

The éS Spring line adds the Symbol and the Vireo. The Fall line adds the Eperon, the Sabre and the Sword. The Holiday line adds Bob Burnquist's first-ever pro model skate shoe, the Burnquist.

(Photo enlarges.)

1999 Headlines

• The world shudders at the approach of Y2K.
  • The human population of the world surpasses six billion.
  • White supremacist John William King is found guilty of kidnapping and killing African American James Byrd Jr. by dragging him behind a truck for two miles.
  • Dr. Jack Kevorkian is found guilty of second-degree murder for administering a lethal injection to a terminally ill man.
  • Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold kill 12 students, one teacher and themselves in the Columbine High School Massacre.
  • John F. Kennedy Jr. dies in an airplane crash.
  • A 7.4-magnitude earthquake strikes northwestern Turkey, killing more than 17,000 and injuring 44,000.
  • The first major mobilization of the anti-globalization movement catches police unprepared in the Battle of Seattle and forces the cancellation of the opening ceremonies of the WTO Meeting.
  • Former Beatle George Harrison is stabbed several times in the chest.

Comments:

There's 115 responses to "1999: Welcome, Arto Saari"

1. Tony E!!! That's my dog right there. I just had to get that out.

Josh P. Posted: 8 years ago
  2. great year for éS ! But where's the koston 2, muska & creager ???

ToNyXeS Posted: 8 years ago
  3. Damn. Arto fit in with es so well. His menikmati part still is insane.

Mugagga Posted: 8 years ago
  4. Arto is better than anyone else.

Peete Posted: 8 years ago
  5. You can definitely see 1999 was not a good year for board feel. I think I had a pair of the Swords, though.

david Posted: 8 years ago
  6. Why Arto?! Why did you leave?! Oh yeah, that's right - money from Etnies.

But really, Arto is one of the greatest skateboarders of the last 10 years and can now be considered legendary.

Blellow Posted: 8 years ago
  7. what happend to brandon turner did he leave for osiris yet...

ben Posted: 8 years ago
  8. I had a pair of k2s. I thought they were nice actually. They were sooo comfortable, somewhat durable, and had good board feel. I dont know why they stopped selling them so fast. I have that brazillian tour on dvd and its pretty sweet.

meaton Posted: 8 years ago
  9. oh wow, arto has only 4 fingers on his right hand, check the photo

yeahlad Posted: 8 years ago
  10. Bring back the K3s. And Arto did fit on 'eS super well. Hey Jay Maldonado/Craig Metzger or who ever else cares-You guys should put Jayme Fourtune on 'eS. He's ripping super hard out here (portland) and is sponsorless. Any ways keep up the good work and a K3 with G2 instead of a air bubble would be sick. And do you guys still make the OG accel brown suede/gum sole. Thanks.

OCEAN Posted: 8 years ago
  11. Hey Ocean-Jayme Fortune does rip. Where has he been? The brown Accels make a come back in Holiday 05/Spring 06 for one last time and then they are history for a while. Shops start getting holiday stuff in October/November I think.

We made these menikimati (spelling?) remix dvds that have the 10 yr time line, interviews and other fun stuff. Maybe we can do a give away with them or some thing.

1999 for me in terms of éS shoes was sketchy. I was rocking Accels and k1's or any thing I could hustle. Those other kicks were a bit gnarly for me...like whoa!

craig Posted: 8 years ago
  12. They have a video of the game of skate on the tws site. Before I saw that I had no idea who bates, carlin or that other were (something with an M). Jim bates did some tweaked out stuff but alot of it looked sketchy or just low. Carlin had some crazy ass pop to all his tricks, that was great. He should have won.

Justin P. Posted: 8 years ago
  13. they should leave a thing on the es site that shows every shoes thats ever been made by them

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  14. yeahlad, arto has five fingers on his right hand. he's just doing a westside sign in the photo. check it

tobias Posted: 8 years ago
  15. Hey Craig what did Koston say about bringing back the Koston 3?

Alex Posted: 8 years ago
  16. y is the accelarate the only shoes with g2 fulll impact and what is better a polyurithane midosle or eva because they got rid of the polyurithane in the 90,s and put in all the shoes an eva but now in alot of new shoes they are putting in a polyurithane

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  17. what a goof f***ing year.

nickie Posted: 8 years ago
  18. yo man ur crazy

devon Posted: 8 years ago
  19. sean watch the eva insoles video on active mailorder the system g2 is seriously the best heel protection in the world

dont blame me i voted for pj ladd Posted: 8 years ago
  20. (sole tech video) sti

dont blame me i voted for pj ladd Posted: 8 years ago
  21. just to support the idea, id definitely get K3's if they come back.

Brian Posted: 8 years ago
  22. i know its the best midsole in the world and i watched the video i just wanted to know why the accelarate was the only one with full impact because i had them and i loved them but i wanted to see if their is going to be another shoe with full impact

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  23. Okay on the mainpage for footwear if you clck on the k7 it comes up to the k7's mainpage if you look close on the heel elephant skin area ther's a little black thing under the elephant skin it's weird cause it's not on the regular elephant skin k7's can anyone explain this? It's weird check it out.

neubauer Posted: 8 years ago
  24. That must have been a sample. My red/black k7 doesn't have that.

Charlie Posted: 8 years ago
  25. retard ucan see his finger is behind the other one look harder next time gosh!

p body Posted: 8 years ago
  26. http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25922292565.jpg&s=x1
    Do you guys think pj should make this colorway?

Charlie Posted: 8 years ago
  27. hey, craig or josh p, how do you guys make shoe designs on a computer?

Charlie Posted: 8 years ago
  28. No, charlie that is an awful color to me, thats for sure .
    and Charlie where did you get youre K7, because my K7 dont have that either.
    And in the Black gum K7 there isnt hardly gray in the shoe , except the shoe laces

Alex Posted: 8 years ago
  29. lol good eye dude

Justin P. Posted: 8 years ago
  30. I got my k7's at zumiez. What about these colorways? http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25922292565.jpg&s=x1

Charlie Posted: 8 years ago
  31. charlie

that is photo-shop colorway, if you look closely it has the same wrinkle in the leather that the green-white has.

'es fanatic Posted: 8 years ago
  32. Hey, does anybody know if Javier Sarmiento is on the offical 'eS team and if he is when is he getting a team page?

OCEAN Posted: 8 years ago
  33. I know. I wanted to know if anyone thought they should make it. http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25922315440.jpg&s=x1

Charlie Posted: 8 years ago
  34. Charlie - They are a tad bit shinny for my liking.

Josh P. Posted: 8 years ago
  35. instant winner! wow torey goodal

popwarrrrr Posted: 8 years ago
  36. is so sweet

popwarrrrr Posted: 8 years ago
  37. Hey, you can now update you're photos and collection to my éS web site !
    go to "yourecollection"

ToNyXeS Posted: 8 years ago
  38. hey josh or craig or whoever- on the invisible man breaker 02s what material is the toe cap its like shiny is it plastic or some weird leather? thanks

marc Posted: 8 years ago
  39. wow..where do i begin. Lots of questions. Ok, the k3 can't come back cause the factory that had that mold burned down. Javi is on the team but he likes to do things a bit differently. We have love for Javi and his video part in YéS is going to be out of control. I didn't check the k7 pic but it was a sample so it might be a bit different but nothing huge. That shoe is amazing to skate in. The invisible man shoe uses some sort of synethic leather I think. As far as shoe designs it starts out as a drawing and then is brought into Illustrator where the designers make some tweaks. Then we bring it to a 3D CAD program to figure out the shape. THEN...plans (like blueprints) are produced and sent to the factory. So much goes into shoe designs. If you are looking to jump in start making sketches and most of all have fun.

craig Posted: 8 years ago
  40. WOW, The K3 is not gonna come back.
    Why dont you guys make another mold?
    Or something like that?
    And whta about the EOS?

Alex Posted: 8 years ago
  41. The EOS sole is used on a bunch of kicks. The k7 is one of them. As far as remaking the mold I don't think it's worth it cause we have so much other good stuff coming out. It's all about progression, keep things moving. We have some secret shit in the works that will get you guys pumped but you'll have to wait till Spring 06 and Fall 06..It's off the chain. Shop heads that previewed it said it's the best éS line to date. You will all be stoked. OH, and thanks to all you out there that made us the number 1 shoe brand (again) in skateboarding. We've only begun kids, only begun.

craig Posted: 8 years ago
  42. Has someone realized that the ED SELEGO V.1 "ADIO" is just like the PJ. Ladd model.

Alex Posted: 8 years ago
  43. Craig please tell me the Pac Sun rumors aren't true.

Stuntwood Posted: 8 years ago
  44. Latest 720 News:
    Cobbs checks out the new Baker 3 video
    Craig breaks a board on f board on 4 rail
    johnny works at safeway
    B-dogg is back
    Cobbs talks to luke about 720
    720 on the way back

Posted By:Cobbs

Cobbs Posted: 8 years ago
  45. i think that they should make an accelarate thats all black with gold stitching and a gold es symbol and a clear gold sole like that new accelarate series they are going to coming out with

46. and tom penny is off es

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  47. dude toms not off es! but yeah, did yuo guys burn the ek01s yet cuz you cant let those go best shoes ever just have them out for one more season pleaaaaaaaaaseA!!!

marc Posted: 8 years ago
  48. yeah, speaking of shoe sketches, i've been making a sketch of an eS shoe on Microsoft's Paint page on my computer and it looks pretty good. i made it like real teched out, with System G2O2 and all that stuff. it looks like a combination of the eS Arto, the Emerica Reynolds 1, and the Accel. its just a free hand computer drawing, but its fairly decent. if i could figure out how, i would post it in here.

the dude Posted: 8 years ago
  49. Yeah ive been making some too in my classroom and not paying attention to the teacher i made some real cool ones like some real packed accels, i called them the paccels haha they have a cinthetyc toecap and lycra heel support sockliner and Flo2 and G2O2.
    And the MACK with a rubber toe cap and made it look like the LAKAI NYLA. haha

Alex Posted: 8 years ago
  50. Somethign funny is that i was making this colorway for the Accelplus around Julyon my notebook and it was this black orange and brown and around right now it september i see it on skateamerica, i mean the same colorway.I went back to my notebook and saw it. And it was the same.

Alex Posted: 8 years ago
  51. Wow so I'm not the only shoe head who draws shoes in class, thats comforting, I don't draw eS I just leave um as a design, got some pretty dope ones. Can people send shoe designs into eS if they feel like really good designs with some good sketches? Just wondering.

Turtle_Boy! Posted: 8 years ago
  52. AY REPRESENT CLEARWATER FLORIDA! HOLLA ES IS AWSOME RAWSOME!!!!!!!!!!! HARSH R.I.P kevric kevans.........ES do a demo at spot tampa pro just isnt enough!!!!!!!!!!! puppets and yoyo's

scmoop bog! Posted: 8 years ago
  53. tom is off es he didnt renew his contract on time thats y they arent going to come out with the penny 2 low top

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  54. Can anyone say when the 'eS video is coming out? Antwaun Dixon ripped it in Baker 3. He'd be cool on the 'eS team. Too bad about the K3. And how long are the K6s gonna be around? Those shoes skate really well. I especially like the Brown suede/blue colorway.

OCEAN Posted: 8 years ago
  55. Dude Tom is still on eS the people from eS have said so here on one of the blogs, there still gonna make the Penny 2 lo, it's not gonna be another arto 2, oh my goodness you people are so dumb

Turtle_Boy! Posted: 8 years ago
  56. where did it say hes off es

57. or not off es in the blogs

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  58. How did u find out he is?

"tom is off es he didnt renew his contract on time thats y they arent going to come out with the penny 2 low top"

Wher did tht cum from?

AzFaz300 Posted: 8 years ago
  59. u said cum

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  60. and i skate for a skate shop and i was reading the rumor thing in a skate trade news thing also i asked a bunch of people who to the es trade shows and they said its true

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  61. i was wondering if antwuan dixon will have a part in the new es video becuse he is so good and i cant get enough of him. his style is so smooth almost as good as pennys.

sweet Posted: 8 years ago
  62. Shut up shawn you don't know what youre talkin about leave the eS blog

Turtle_Boy! Posted: 8 years ago
  63. i saw the penny 2 lows in the es catalouge(spelling?) i dont think that is true bro. penny is nasty tho

Adam Foreal Posted: 8 years ago
  64. How would any of you bozos know if Penny left or not he is so low profile he doenst even pop up in any of the team reports cause nobody even knows what he's up to half the time so shut up sean I agrree with Turtl Boy in that area.

Eric Koston 8's suck Posted: 8 years ago
  65. Latest 720 News:

Craig still working hard at his construction job
    Johnny in his 10th grade year at GHS and still works at safeway
    Cobbs tries to kill himself
    B-dogg is back on 720
    Cobbs comes back November 2nd

Posted By:Cobbs

cobbs Posted: 8 years ago
  66. javi rules

yes Posted: 8 years ago
  67. damn, a year later n the winner's announced for the t shirt contest.. designs aint even all that hot. the 10 runner ups shouldnt have been random.

truehead Posted: 8 years ago
  68. turtle fag u dont know what your talking about and u can u shut up to eric koston 8/s suck stop trying to kiss other peoples asses in blog to make it seem like u can skate so go and talk with your little butt buddy turtle fag have fun !!!!!

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  69. craig or anyone how do ek-01s compare to the original kostons skating wise like with board feel and stuff. and what do other people who have skated them think? thanks

copand1/2 Posted: 8 years ago
  70. caca culo pedo pirrin

Javier Posted: 8 years ago
  71. Hey Sean, your mamy!

Turtle_Boy Posted: 8 years ago
  72. hey turtle fag , ..........yoooooour gay

sean Posted: 8 years ago
  73. remember, this is es, not emerica.

Charlie Posted: 8 years ago
  74. uh

Trey Posted: 8 years ago
  75. thats a sick pic of burnquist airing thu the rafters at the top of the page

Adam Foreal Posted: 8 years ago
  76. The Penny rumor could be true, He hasn't answered any of the "Ask A Pro" questions. Check it its blank. But if it is true why didn't they take his name/picture out?

Mike Posted: 8 years ago
  77. Why isnt that Craig dude answering any more of our questions?

Mike Posted: 8 years ago
  78. They should just make a page where we could just ask questions, then whoever has something to say about the topic can just say it without going through a page of stupid ass questions.

Mike Posted: 8 years ago
  79. I'm sick of scrolling down the whole page after submitting. Its getting on my F"n nerves!!!!!!!

Mike Posted: 8 years ago
  80. Mike - What's your question? If its about Penny, then he's still on eS.

Josh P. Posted: 8 years ago
  81. Dude Mike : He also has to skate i mean his job is not only to stare at the computer all day (im talking about Craig)

Alex Posted: 8 years ago
  82. Yeah - It's my job to stare at shit.

Josh P. Posted: 8 years ago
  83. has anyone noticed that there are only about 20 to 30 people who blog or that's what it seems like to me I always sethe same screen names, sorry for wasting time and space

dopenose Posted: 8 years ago
  84. Well He seems like a dick to not care about his fans. He doesn't answer any of our questions. or participate in anything(except for videos and tours), but I mean like contests, trivias, etc.

Mike Posted: 8 years ago
  85. yeah man iam a girl and i love arto he is so sexy with his big fs switch boardeslides down holywood 16 ive seen his willy

heather saari Posted: 8 years ago
  86. yeah man I love es woth the nice shoes and those sexy guys

when i think of es i just cant stop touchhin ma dick

chris Posted: 8 years ago
  87. I just wanna say es is shit

I love dc so much i could rape danny way

justin eleridge isnt even that good iam probaly better than him and the best on the team is probaly cale nuske and he is evan shit ...... the fact of the matter is am gay and dc are good fuck u fellow es fans wanks

tom shimmin Posted: 8 years ago
  88. Hi my name is andrew white i live in glasgow and i have blonde cummy hair. some people call me dolphin and i love it because i love my gay friend mike so much he loves tom penny and wanks over him in menikmati every nite with his sister. my mother kisses my ass and my lesbian sister fucks my dads bald head and bush i love gareth gates really. eee aa ee oooo o0o0o0o!!!

Andrew White Posted: 8 years ago
  89. hi there i just want everybody to know that i shag ma mum every night casue i just love her so much deeply deeply in the fanny.

I shag ma mawww just before i go out to skate thatd how iam so shit at skatin a think am good but am shit.

I allways hog the camara casue it makes me feel better

i love p rod i think iam him actully i skate like him so much

Tom gay shimmin Posted: 8 years ago
  90. Well My name is not important but I am worried by those last comments some ppl have odd ideas but is clear that both tom hash and Andy Whiteington r being abused at home and I feel deeply sorry 4 toms poor mum it is clear she is being raped... well I am away 2 munch

Jesus Loves you Posted: 8 years ago
  91. cmon u two girls ano tom is a bit of a fanny but andy cmon u to tom

cale nuske Posted: 8 years ago
  92. yes as i was saying i love cats a i have shagged a total of 23 in my little gay fuck off gang i mad up called the kfgck. which is the Killer Fucking Gay Cat Krew. like it you little poieces of shit brink es fuckers bastard ma dad has aids and gave me them. see ya later shit head fuckers!!! The curb is shit bya gay people

Andrew fucking queer White Posted: 8 years ago
  93. tom you should fukin shut up its u that loves cats you mums the one that has aids she gave it to u thats why u can only skate stairs

mike cassidy Posted: 8 years ago
  94. fuck sake will everyone just shut up its a shoe website u guys are probaly not evan skaters

so get off the site

james Posted: 8 years ago
  95. andrew white puts bum plugs up his arse

fronk Posted: 8 years ago
  96. iam a fanny and a half

jake Posted: 8 years ago
  97. andrew licks the bum plugs after they have been up there

fronk Posted: 8 years ago
  98. jake fukin shut up

andy Posted: 8 years ago
  99. hahahahahahahhahahahaha ok

fronk Posted: 8 years ago
  100. es accel no#1

fronk Posted: 8 years ago
  101. accels r the best shoe ever made by es.

andy Posted: 8 years ago
  102. I think u r all like 2 people just chaging names..

dopedose Posted: 8 years ago
  103. a just want to talk about the arguement about tht tom and andy guy clearly they both get beasted of there parents and well i like cats a dnt see anything wrong with a cat crew ES rules accel and k3 and eos 4 life

mike oxbig Posted: 8 years ago
  104. here i love mike man he is so sexy

i wish he could lick ma ginger hair uhuhuhuuuuh

russel patterson Posted: 8 years ago
  105. yeah man iam just gonna say sorry to the kck

killer cat krew

i love ginger guys

tom gay boy shimmin Posted: 8 years ago
  106. i love cock not just any cock but ginger cock cmon russel ya beast fuck me you ginger ninja

mike oxbig Posted: 8 years ago
  107. i hate germans and english people and tits and fanny but i love knob my name is TOM PENNYOR MIKE TAYLOR

i love knob Posted: 8 years ago
  108. Es is amazing i cant wait till the es movie comes out

i think p j ladd should have the last part

accels grey white the best start bringen them out agian

k3 white blue and the lakers oen yellow white purpel amazing

danny brady is a wanker

Dolphin Posted: 8 years ago
  109. yeah man i love tom penny i could rape him up his english arsehole then lets c who has got the nice style

u know wit amon abooot

i love mike taylor 2 he is on dvs

dodge vagina sex beacuse iam gay

mike Posted: 8 years ago
  110. Es is amazing i cant wait till the es movie comes out

k3 white and red

danny brady's and wanker jensen rules

sqeeky Posted: 8 years ago
  111. blalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablalablala

dildo baws Posted: 8 years ago
  112. i love mike so much

mikes mawww Posted: 8 years ago
  113. Whoever is doing all the sexula blabing really needs to shut up and get a life, also stop changing names, it's so obvious it's only like 2 people maximum

dopedose Posted: 8 years ago
  114. there 6 peaple in this thing

2 more comin soon

accel plus are shite

6 peaple Posted: 8 years ago
  115. fuck you dopedose ya prick u get beasted of ur dad and granpa ya queer fuck

dildo baws Posted: 8 years ago